Shoreline Boatneck by Blank Slate Patterns

*Insert ghost town noises……*

I apologize for the lack of posts lately.

February started out with a fantastic opportunity for me to write a guest post on the Thread Riding Hood blog (coming soon!!) for a hack on the Fat Quarter Skirt that I had recently tested.

Suddenly, I was also accepted to test another two patterns! The Shoreline Boatneck Re-release for Blank Slate Patterns and a STILL.TO.BE.ANNOUNCED pattern by Twig & Tale.

And while I still can’t talk about the Twig & Tale pattern….

The Shoreline Boatneck has been officially re-released in sizes XXS-3X!

I helped to test one of the newly added sizes – 1X (graded to 2X at the hips).

After a comical looking muslin (it wasn’t the pattern, it was the flat sheet fabric I was upcycling to blame!)….

The knit version turned out great!

It is a super simple pattern that came together quickly. It was the first time I used interfacing in a shirt (which intimidated me), but it was easier than my head had made it out to be!

Honestly, it was harder to take these pictures than sewing the top!

(My DSLR remote stopped working so it was just me and the timer….)

I used a pretty casual looking knit, so it looks like a comfy t-shirt. But with a different fabric choice, you could make a really nice dress shirt! Next time I am also going to make the tunic length (just think it looks better on my body type)!

(My parents just brought me home some fabric from Mexico, I’m pretty sure there is one fabric cut that is destined to be my second shoreline boatneck!)

OH! OH! I almost forgot to say the BEST thing about this pattern!! It can be sewn in both a KNIT.AND.WOVEN!

Now that is just a mind blowing pattern for you!!

Cheers to February being almost done!

BRING.ON.SPRING!

 

Roller Coast Tee by Duck Butt Designs

I got this fantastic farm fabric from the Fabric Snob on sale last week!

16-02-07-00075

Problem: its cotton woven and I wanted to use it for a shirt….

In the past I had asked around and a few people had reassured me that can CAN use a woven fabric for the FRONT.AND.BACK. of a raglan shirt.

Perfect! I thought.

So I grabbed my copy of the RCT (I love me some color blocking!) and grabbed some matching solid knits. The royal blue is also from the Fabric Snob, the green and brown are upcycled from old shirts, and the grey is some left over cotton from another project.

16-02-07-00027

The shirt more of less came together quickly, and just as easily as when I had used all knit, until…….

I was practically done. All that was left was to add the neck band.

Nope. That head hole would NEVER be big enough….

So why not try to add a packet with snaps?” I thought.

I found this tutorial here and figured I had nothing to loose. How hard could it be?

HARD!

16-02-07-00111

If you don’t look on the inside…. it turned out alright. I definitely need some more practice with packets (this was my second attempt at one ever).

When Little Mister A woke up from his nap I slipped it on his for a few quick model shots! I think it works but next time I think I will just save the woven cotton for the pocket panel that doesn’t require much stretch!!

Multi Purpose Nursing Cover

As a seamstress (or any type of crafter really), how many times have you heard “I found this XYZ at ABC for $XXXX, can you make it for cheaper?!?!

That is basically how this latest project came about.

There has been a video ad circulating on Facebook for a multi functional nursing cover.

I never really used a nursing cover with Little Mister A so I hadn’t put too much thought into it.

But my sister in law asked if I could make one for cheaper – because after the cost + shipping + taxes it was going to be around $60CND.

Since I had never use one. Or even seen one in person. I was scratching my head a bit about dimensions and the exact shape shown in the video.

PINTEREST.TO.THE.RESCUE!

I found this tutorial where the finished product looked very similar to what we were looking for.

After reading it through, I picked a few fabric options online for my sister in law, and she settled on some 10z Cotton/Spandex Jersey in Mint (which was the most cost effective solution). If I make one for myself in the future I think I would look for some Double Brushed Poly (definitely not a cost effective solution for trying to make it cheaper, ha ha).

It took very little time at all using the tutorial to sew it up. I want to say an hour max!

16.01.29.00014.jpg

I quickly tried it on and forced Little Mister A to pretend to nurse (he was NOT.HAPPY.WITH.ME). But even with all his wriggling, twitching and squirming, the cover stayed in place! Seems pretty perfect to me!

It can be used for a million things, including but not limited to:

  • Nursing cover
  • Car seat cover
  • Highchair cover
  • Cart cover
  • Infinity scarf
  • Blanket
  • Baby wearing blanket

Now hopefully my sister in law likes it!

(Edited to add: She loves it! I gave it to here this past week!)